A guide to atmospheric scenting
FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR HOME FRAGRANCE
When it comes to creating a comfortable and inviting atmosphere inside your home, one element is often overlooked: the scent. The aromas inside your home can affect your mood from the moment you walk through the front door – whether you are giving a warm friendly welcome to guests, or you are returning to relax in solitude after a long day.
There are several effective ways to add fragrance to your home that go beyond releasing a preferred scent. The question to ask is, which is the better option for creating an overall atmosphere?
Incense, candles and diffusers: What are the differences?
Incense typically comes in stick or cone form, and incense leaves are a more recent innovation. It consists of various materials that allow them to give off a wide range of fragrances when they are burned (the word incense comes from incendere, the Latin word meaning "to burn"). Materials such as bark, resins, roots, and seeds can be used alongside cinnamon, frankincense, sandalwood and more to create the various fragrances.
PICTURED: B SILENT INCENSE STICKS AND PEBBLE INCENSE HOLDERS
BENEFITS OF USING INCENSE
- Once lit, they spread their fragrance throughout the room more quickly.
- They are often used to reduce stress and anxiety, bringing added wellness benefits.
- The scent they give off is typically stronger than that of a candle or diffuser.
- There's a variety of incense fragrances to choose from to suit your taste and mood.
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN USING INCENSE
- They burn very quickly and are generally burned up within an hour.
- The aroma they give off can be quite intense, which might be off-putting for some.
- Once lit, they require careful attention to ensure they burn safely.
Because of the material, they create ash when they burn and must be properly held by an incense holder.
- They generate smoke when burnt, which should be taken into consideration.
Candles differ from incense in many ways, and the mechanisms for releasing scent have noticeable differences. Candles are made from wax, a combustible material that turns into a liquid when exposed to heat and then into gas – if it is a scented candle, it is the wax that is scented with aromatic oils. Every candle has a wick which, once lit, creates the heat that melts the wax and releases the scent.
PICTURED: EMBER CANDLE
BENEFITS OF USING CANDLES
- There tends to be greater variety of scented candles to suit your preference.
- Candle scents tend to be more complex and less overpowering.
- Candles burn slowly, which means they'll last longer and can be used more than once if properly maintained.
- Candles emit a soft glow when they are lit, which adds to the overall ambiance.
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN USING CANDLES
- It takes longer to fill a room up with their fragrance, and the candle must be lit to release any scent.
- Their fragrance can be more subtle, whereas you may prefer a stronger scent.
- Candles should be properly maintained in between burning to ensure the best fragrance.
- Some scented candles contain harmful compounds. It is important to choose candles that contain natural wax with wicks that are lead and paraffin free.
Reed diffusers offer a flame-free home fragrance solution. Reeds are placed into the scented diffuser oil (often contained in a glass bottle), which allows them to soak up the oil and gently release the fragrance into the surrounding air. The reeds can be left in the oil until it has fully evaporated - a practical way to scent the home for a long period of time.
Electric diffusers, on the other hand, release the fragrance of scented oils as a mist. Powered electronically, they often have a lamp feature and can be switched on and off to release the scent when desired.
PICTURED: BAMFORD DIFFUSER LAMP
BENEFITS OF USING DIFFUSERS
- Reed diffusers are very low maintenance and can be left unattended without posing a fire safety risk.
- The intensity of the scent can be adjusted by adding or removing reeds, to suit personal preference.
- Diffuser bottles can be very beautifully designed, serving as a visually decorative piece in the home.
CONSIDERATIONS WHEN USING DIFFUSERS
- Reeds can get dusty and clogged over time if not properly cared for. It is good practice to flip the reeds occasionally to ensure the scent is being released (the more often you flip the reeds, the quicker the scent will evaporate).
- The scent might be too subtle for those who prefer a more intense fragrance.
- The scented diffuser oil will evaporate quicker if placed near a heat source such as a radiator. Keep this in mind when finding the right place for your diffuser.
Incense, candles or diffusers: which should you choose?
Incense sticks, scented candles and reed diffusers can all add a pleasing aroma to your home. Deciding between them depends on what you want most from a home fragrance. Whichever suits your home and lifestyle best, ensure you never run out with our product replenishment service - subscribe to receive your fragrance at a monthly interval that works for you. Enjoy savings when you subscribe.
FOR REST AND RELAXATION
Incense is a great option if you'd like to introduce a strong fragrance that fills up your room, plus it provides a wonderful atmosphere for a personal meditation or yoga practice. Depending on what time of day it is, you can choose a difference scented incense stick allowing for variety in how you scent your home throughout the day.
FOR ROMANTIC AMBIANCE
If you're looking for a home fragrance solution that is less overpowering and wish to create more of a romantic or welcoming ambiance, candles may be the better option - especially when considering the added glow of a softly burning candle. If you like the smokey scent of incense but prefer using candles, our Ember Candle combines the best of both: a complex, reflective, and calming scent in our decorative candle vessel.
FOR FUSS-FREE SCENTING
The reed diffuser is an easy way to scent a room in the home without having to light it – simply add the reads and you will have a beautiful scent for weeks. If you still want variety, why not place different scented diffusers in different rooms? You can create the mood you want, where you want.
NEVER BE WITHOUT YOUR FAVOURITE HOME FRAGRANCE
Subscribe to our new replenishment service. Receive your favourite home fragrance at a frequency that suits you, to maintain the atmosphere in your home.